Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"Extreme Love" By: Abbi Niles Review

Extreme Love (Love to the Extreme, #1)
Extreme Love
By: Abbi Niles

Synopsis
New body. New clothes. New men.
Used to the average Joe, Caitlyn Moore is overwhelmed when the supremely masculine Dante Jones walks into her life and expresses an interest in her. At first she pushes him away, refusing to encourage the attention of a cage fighter. Then she learns Dante has a love ‘em and leave ‘em reputation. What better way to fine-tune her non-existent flirting skills than with a male who won’t stick around?  
Dante has no intention of being a practice dummy; he’s out for all or nothing. Now Caitlyn must accept Dante—violent career and all—or let him go.
Dante “Inferno” Jones has one goal: win the Welterweight Championship. At a time when focus is crucial, the last thing he needs is a distraction. Yet Caitlyn Moore becomes a challenge he can’t resist. When the light-hearted pursuit shifts to a battle to win her heart, his focus is shot. Faced with losing the biggest match of his career, Dante must decide if his extreme life also has room for Extreme Love.
My Thoughts

      Caitlyn Moore has always been considered the chubby girl in the room. Never singled out for being cute and seeming to blend into the wallpaper, Cait is surprised when the insanely large and utterly male Dante Jones decides he’d like to get to know her better while in Atlanta. Scared, Caitlyn does about anything she can think of to scare Dante away, but little of it really makes a difference. Dante has settled on Cait and there’s very little she can do to sway him.
      Dante is in Atlanta to train for the biggest fight in his MMA career.  One night when trying to let off some steam, he sees Caitlyn across the bar and is entranced. She is shy though and absolutely against getting to know him better, in any capacity.   When challenged between  training and pursuing Cait  Dante is town between two worlds. Cait hates the MMA fighting world and its the only one Dante has ever known.
      This is the first in the Love to the Extreme series. I actually read the books out of order, but loved the second one enough to come back for the first. I am glad I started with the second book though, because this first one seemed so...well, so sweet that I might have gotten a toothache. I’m a heavy girl myself but the constant weight focus on Caitlyn’s part was extremely annoying. I get that she’s self conscious but almost every paragraph made mention of the fact and it was frankly overwhelming. Even at the end, when I was supposed to believe she had all this new found confidence, I just didn’t believe it.
     Beyond the weight issue, Dante was just flat out too good to be true. All of a sudden we are to believe he wants to be with this shy girl in the corner. He just wants to get to know her for her, which I respect but don’t really buy his motives. They are just there, which for me didn’t work out the best.
     However many problems I actually had with the characters, I did enjoy the story. I loved seeing brief glimpses into the lives of the other fighters and I think Niles does an excellent job of writing the “MMA world.” I did love some of the secondary characters and hope one day I have a fabulous friend like Pete to take me shopping. All in all an ok read, but I think by the second book, Fighting Love, Niles voice really comes out and she comes into her own.
3. Winning Love (August 2014)

Book Details
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
# of Pages: 352
ISBN: 978-1620612460
Date of Publication: April 30, 2013
Source: Personal Purchase
Challenges


No comments:

Post a Comment