Saturday, February 25, 2012

Children's Book Saturday - "I Didn't Do It" By: Patricia MacLachlan

"I Didn't Do It"
By: Patricia MacLachlan and Emily Charest


Synopsis from Amazon:

What makes a puppy's day complete?Swimming and then shaking water all over you. Catching "presents" for you and then bringing them inside the house. Rolling in your nice wool sweater. Snuggling in your lap.In their second ode to canine companions, Patricia MacLachlan, Emily MacLachlan Charest, and Katy Schneider once again offer an irresistible glimpse into the mischievous canine mind. Captured here are adorable confessions and spirited accounts of the things that puppies do—and don't do—while in search of love, adventure, and treats from the table.
My Thoughts:
     I was running through the Children's room this week and this book caught my eye. As I'm sure everyone knows by now, I have a weenie dog named Daisy Jane...and the picture on the front of this book looks EXACTLY like her!
Yep...that's yogurt on her head. Yogurt!
Oh I'm just hanging out on the bed...I know I shouldn't be up here but it's cool cause I'm cute.
      This is a wonderful children's book. The illustrations are magical, you can tell from the cover they are gonna be cute. The poems though are simply ingenious. They are easy enough for a child to understand...while also being that right kind of magic to make an adult smile. Each page is a different poem about being a puppy. Slobbering, playing, chewing and food are just a few of the topics; really things all puppies are interested in. 
     My favorite quote is a small poem that occurs in the very middle of the book.
"I didn't do it. 
I didn't eat your food.
It was the cat
Who jumped up on the table and dragged your pork shop off.
I watched.
But it wasn't me."

    I also really love this poem:
"Every night you pat my head.
Every night I climb under your quilt 
And crawl
Down
Down
Down
By your warm feet.
And close my eyes.
And sleep.
Every night."

       A great companion book would be "Once I Ate a Pie" by the same authors. I read the book a few years ago and still remember how cute it was. Two great books by your favorite pet, the dog!

Book Details
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Date of Publication: October 5, 2010
# of Pages: 32
ISBN: 978-0061358333

1 comment:

  1. That is so adorable! You can pretend Daisy Jane was the cover model :-)

    ReplyDelete