Tuesday, September 4, 2012

"Take It Like a Vamp" By: Candace Havens Review

"Take It Like a Vamp"
By: Candace Havens

Synopsis from Goodreads:
     Vampire Nick Christos might have been born in the Middle Ages, but those days seem tame compared to the last eight years spent ruling the Supernatural Council. The only respite in his long days of governing is with his sweet neighbor Casey Meyers. Sure, he’s forced to take a cold shower after every encounter, but no way will he risk anything more with a human. Not with his blood thirsty ex on the prowl and out to ruin Nick’s life.     But when said crazy ex shows up at the ball and flies her freak flag high, Nick has more to worry about than keeping his hands off his neighbor. He’ll have to stay closer than ever if he hopes to keep her alive, but will she want to leave him forever when she learns the truth? 
My Thoughts
     “Take It Like a Vamp” is a brand new paranormal by Candace Havens, an author I have never read before. I picked up this short e-book during the week it was released when it was on sale. I just hate to miss a vampire romance, if you know what I mean. While the story had promise, I was never really drawn into the story nor its characters.
     Nick Christos is the Vampire King or leader of the vampires in some form. He has a downstairs neighbor, Casey, who is both a human and a friend. Sure he’s attracted to her and really likes her, but he worries that if he brings her into his vamp world, her human life would cease.
     Casey has a bad case of hero worship for her upstairs neighbor. She has no idea he’s a vampire, but does think he’s insanely cute and they are pretty good friends. Nick randomly invites her one night to a party and her whole world is turned upside down when other vampire factions threaten her and she has to deal with what and who Nick truly is.
      Charming premise and I was really excited to see where this was going. Honestly, the plot wasn't bad but I just didn’t care for the hero or the heroine, which was certainly disappointing. It seemed as if every problem Nick faced should or could have been dealt with much sooner or with better communication. Casey had a huge, huge, HUGE case of hero worship going on. Anything Nick did or said was just so wonderful and it began to get annoying very quickly.
     Another thing that seemed to bother me was the absolute un-vampireness of the whole thing. Nick was a vampire, sure, but none of the normal rules applied. He could go outside in the sun, eat regular food, etc. Really the only mentions of him being a vampire, beyond it being repeated a thousand times, was the appearance of his fangs once or twice. If I’m going to read a vampy romance, I want a little vamp in it!
     “Take It Like a Vamp” was an ok read for me, I did finish it. The characters seemed flat, stereotypical and just not for me but the plot moved along quickly. It was an interesting take on the vampire world, just not for me.

Book Details
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Date of Publication: July 21, 2012
ISBN: 978-1622669509

1 comment:

  1. Hadn't heard of this title before. Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete