Saturday, March 24, 2012

Children's Book Saturday "A Color Game for Chester Raccoon" By: Audrey Penn

"A Color Game for Chester Raccoon"
By: Audrey Penn
Synopsis from Amazon:
In this new Kissing Hand board book, Audrey Penn brings us more maternal wisdom to solve another of early childhood’s little issues. Whether on a trip, in a restaurant or a store, children can become bored and fussy. Chester’s Favorite Game provides an activity that will entertain young children anywhere -- finding things in many colors: White, blue, yellow, red, orange, brown, and black.
My Thoughts:
     Definitely geared towards a very young age group, "A Color Game for Chester Raccoon" is a delightful story about Chester learning his colors. Written in verse, Chester goes throughout his world pointing out animals who have certain colors. It's a really sweet story that teaches colors through real world situations. 
     I enjoyed the verse, but I simply did not care for the illustrations. They didn't seem finished to me and I kept feeling like the pencil markings should have been smoothed out. I'm sure that was the intention, yet I didn't like it at all. The story is great for teaching though, so don't let the illustrations throw you off too much. This would be a great read aloud and I can see children having fun interacting with the book.
      Audrey Penn is a prolific children's author who has many titles under her belt. For more information on other titles and upcoming books, check out her website at http://www.audreypenn.com/


The book "A Color Game for Chester Raccoon" was sent to me in return for an honest review from Netgalley


Book Details
Publisher: Tanglewood Press
Date of Publication: March 20, 2012
# of Pages: 14
ISBN: 978-1933718583

No comments:

Post a Comment