Monday, December 31, 2012

"The Officer Breaks the Rules" By: Jeanette Murray Review


The Officer Breaks the Rules
By: Jeanette Murray


Synopsis from Goodreads 
Captain Jeremy Phillips believes in doing his duty...both as a son and as a friend. This means that he should obey the "friend code" and stay away from his best friend's little sister. Too bad Madison O'Shay doesn't believe in his code and is ready to break all of the rules.
As a Navy nurse, Madison is finally stationed next to the man she's been dreaming about for years. And she's ready to launch a full-scale attack to show this thoughtful, handsome Marine that they belong together.
My Thoughts
    Jeanette Murray was the author of one of my favorite military romances of the year, The Officer Says I Do. I remember reading that story and thinking, if Timothy’s sister Madison and his hot friend Jeremy DON’T get together, I am going to be so angry! Well folks, I’m happy to say they finally do get together and the wait was sooooo worth it!
Jeremy is tired of his military life. He wants something more, and while he may not know what he wants now, he knows he wants something different. He’s tired of the lifestyle and is ready to do something different, specifically writing fiction. Beyond wanting this huge life change, Jeremy finds himself attracted to his best friend’s sister, Madison...a big no no!
Madison on the other hand is in love with her life. She loves her job, has awesome friends, has just moved into her own apartment and finds herself attracted to her brother’s best friend, Jeremy. Do you see where this is going? Oh yeah, definitely headed to the (insert air guitar sounds) Friend zone!
Perhaps what stuck with me most was the characters. Sure the romance was sweet and I wanted these two utterly different people to find one another, but they were always just so funny. Madison wanted Jeremy and she’d go to some crazy lengths to get him, which just makes you laugh. She seemed to stalk him like a lion and reading it was just plain fun.
He motioned with his head to the motorcycle. 
Again with the ear splitting shriek. “You’ll let me drive it? Your baby?” 
“It’s not my baby,” he grumbled. 
“Coulda fooled me.” She ran a hand reverently over the handlebars, and his skin tingled with the reminder of what those fingers felt like over his own body.  
“So that’s why we’re out here, in the empty lot.”  
“Always best to learn somewhere you can’t kill anyone.”
     I would be remiss if I didn't mention, Jeanette Murray does an excellent job of writing military romances realistically. She brings up the controversial issues and hardships of military life, such as base living, deployment and reenlistment. As Jeremy is trying to find out what he wants to do with his life, he finds himself wondering if he can leave behind the military life for good. It’s an agonizing decision and one excellently handled.
Murray’s newest book is an excellent addition to her military romance series and one hot tamale. I loved Madison and Jeremy and I’m gonna go out on a limb and say I may have liked it a bit more than The Officer Says I Do. I love this world she has created and the men she has populated the military base with. Her heroines are so confident and self-assured, I find myself enjoyin’ the kick butt feel of it all. Can’t wait for the next one!

Book Details
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Date of Publication: January 1, 2013
# of Pages: 352
ISBN: 978-1402265433

No comments:

Post a Comment