Saturday, November 26, 2011

"Abandon" By: Meg Cabot Review

Today's review is of a Young Adult book 
I had heard tons of good things about...but hadn't read it.
"Abandon" By: Meg Cabot


Synopsis from Barnes and Noble:
Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.
But now she's moved to a new town. 
Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. 
Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.
Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.
But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.

My Thoughts:
     I know a lot of reviewers didn't like this book, but I enjoyed it. Not one of my favorites, but I am definitely going to be reading the sequel to see what happens. I can see what other people didn't like (mainly the ending) but I understood goign in this was going to be a multiple book series.
    I'm not going to rehash the story, since the synopsis is basically what happens.  Pierce is an interesting character. She is whiny while at the same time, as the reader I wanted to see what else was going to happen. HATED her family, they didn't seem to care about Pierce at all.
     I like John, even thought I hated his name. If I want a broody hero, I want a more interesting name. I liked him as a hero though. He never was completely drawn out, but I hope in the future books he becomes a well rounded character. 
     The ending...oye, the ending. Completely left open, nothing is finished. There are probably 3 or 4 plotlines kept completely open...and there was no closure. I didn't like that at all. 
     It was an interesting take on the Persephone myth and I'm looking forward to the next story...but I probably wouldn't promote this book to my friends as a great read. 3 Stars out of 5!

Product Information
Book Publication Date: April 2011
ISBN: 978-0545284103

2 comments:

  1. I keep picking this one up off the shelf and putting it back down. I really want it to be in paperback LOL.

    It's still on my tentative to read list. Great review! :)

    Nerd Girls at Books to the Sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about reading this one. I think I'll hold off.

    Magical Urban Fantasy Reads
    bookluvrmindy

    ReplyDelete