Friday, November 18, 2011

"Scarlet Thread" By: Francine Rivers Review

Today's review is of 
"The Scarlet Thread" By: Francine Rivers
Synopsis from Barnes and Noble:
A woman of the nineties. A young pioneer on the Oregon Trail. Though lifetimes apart, they share a remarkable journey. When Sierra discovers her ancestor's handcrafted quilt and reads her journal, she finds that their lives are amazingly similar. By following her ancestor's example, she learns to surrender to God's sovereignty and unconditional love.

My Thoughts:
     We had decided to read this book for one of my reading groups. I have a confession to make...and I'm only going to tell you, not my book group! Here goes...I didn't finish this because it was just horrible!
     I hated this book. I got to about page 200 out of close to 400 and couldn't take it anymore. Everything about this book is flawed. I gave it a chance, but I just couldn't do it.
     The characters are terrible. Sierra is the main character...but you dont' care about her because she is so whiny. She has a terrible husband, who is mean and doesn't care for her at all. Sure the author talks about their grand love, but you sure couldn't see it. She can't make friends and when she does, she is incredibly insecure.
     The story is boring too. I understand this is a character driven story, but the pacing of the novel is slow.  Time has little meaning and it seemed to skip all over the place.
     Only pick this book up if you are on a desert island, with no other reading material, and you need paper for your fire. This is a very poorly written story that I didn't enjoy at all. First book in a long time that I Did Not Finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment