Friday, October 14, 2011

"Shiver" By: Maggie Stiefvater Review

Today's book pick is "Shiver" by Maggie Stiefvater
     
     I have a bit of a disclaimer,
this was the first Young Adult novel I had read 
since I was a young adult myself so it was a little exciting.

Synopsis from bn.com:
     For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.     Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.
My thoughts:
     I liked this book. I didn't think I would, but I really did. Lots of kids in my Young Adult area have been reading this and I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about. "Shiver" is a parnormal teen romance between Grace and Sam. Sam just happens to be a werewolf. 
     I loved the world Maggie Stiefvater has created. Sam only "becomes" a wolf when its dreadfully cold. Grace is a quiet, shy heroine and is different from the normal heroines. I loved that aspect of the book, I love different characters. The interactions were interesting and I thought it was an excellent Young Adult novel.


My rating: 4 Stars out of Five - Definitely worth reading :)


Check out the following blogs for great reviews of "Shiver"


Product Information:
Published by: Scholastic Paperbacks
ISBN: 978-0545123273
Publication Date: June 1, 2010

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. I liked Shiver too. (You obviously already knew that though:) I haven't gotten my teen to read it yet, but my 25 year old finished it and called me to see if I had Linger. Since I didn't, she immediately went out and bought the rest of the series. That's a pretty good endorsement too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved this book, but I have to be honest: I bought it entirely because I was enamoured with the cover.

    Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete