Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"Looking for Me" By: Beth Hoffman Review


Looking for Me
By: Beth Hoffman
Synopsis
Teddi Overman found her life’s passion for furniture in a broken-down chair left on the side of the road in rural Kentucky. She learns to turn other people’s castoffs into beautifully restored antiques, and opens her own graciously-appointed shop in Charleston. Breathing new life into these discarded objects gives Teddi purpose, but has never alleviated the haunting uncertainty she’s felt in the years since her brother Josh’s mysterious disappearance. When signs emerge that Josh might still be alive, Teddi is drawn home to find him. It’s a journey that could help her come to terms with her shattered family—and to find herself at last.
My Thoughts
     Looking for Me is without a doubt one of my favorite books of the year. Nothing I have read this year has even come close to the heart of this story that absolutely blew me away. Heartfelt, sincere and at times gut wrenching, Looking For Me is that one book this year that you’ll read and not be able to get out of your head.
     First off let me say, if you haven’t read Beth Hoffman’s Looking for CeeCee Honeycutt, stop reading this and go find it. Right now, I’ll wait. While reading her newest novel, I could find reminiscent phrasing from CeeCee and you could tell they were from the same author, although each book has a distinct feel to it.
     Looking for Me tells the story of Teddi, her family, a little furniture store, and life as it goes on. Years before Teddi’s brother had disappeared, never to be heard from again. Her family held out hope he would come home but as the years pass, his return seems futile. As time passes, both of Teddi’s parents pass away and she is left with the pieces of a family that had once been so close.
     This is just a brief overview of this magnificent story. I easily read the book in a morning and couldn’t put it down. I loved the views of family Hoffman showed and could easily fall into her master storytelling. I think one of the main things that sticks with me, even days after reading this fabulous novel is the sense of love that simply emanated from this story. I’m going to be completely honest here and say I did cry twice, but laughed out loud three times. A gorgeously written, funny, heart twisting story that will stay with you, Looking for Me is simply beautiful. Brava Ms. Hoffman, Brava!
Book Details
Publisher: Pamela Dorman Books
Date of Publication: May 28, 2013
ISBN: 978-0670025831
# of Pages: 368

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness ...thank you for your stunning review! I'm delighted that you enjoyed Teddi's story and honored that it earned a place among your favorite books of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a wonderful read. I actually have "Looking for CeeCee Honeycutt" on my to be read list but I think I'll bump it up so I can read this one as well. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Saving CeeCee, it made my favourite list a few years ago and I have Looking For Me on my read list this week.

    ReplyDelete