Thursday, February 28, 2013

"All My Friends are Dead" By: Avery Monsen Review


All My Friends are Dead
By: Avery Monsen and Jory John

Synopsis from Goodreads
If you're a dinosaur, all of your friends are dead. If you're a pirate, all of your friends have scurvy. If you're a tree, all of your friends are end tables. Each page of this laugh-out-loud illustrated humor book showcases the downside of being everything from a clown to a cassette tape to a zombie. Cute and dark all at once, this hilarious children's book for adults teaches valuable lessons about life while exploring each cartoon character's unique grievance and wide-eyed predicament. From the sock whose only friends have gone missing to the houseplant whose friends are being slowly killed by irresponsible plant owners (like you), All My Friends Are Dead presents a delightful primer for laughing at the inevitable.
My Thoughts
    All my Friends are Dead is a funny, short tale that relates the story of a dinosaur, an old guy, and a tree and how all of their friends are dead. At less than probably 100 pages, with very little text, the author relies on the drawings and simple phrases to relay his hilarity. Incredibly funny and a short read, I think it only took three minutes from start to finish. I don’t know if I’d pay for it myself, but it was a cute library book checkout for the weekend.

Note: There is a sequel, All My Friends Are Still Dead...guess what I’m looking for at my library tomorrow?

Book Details
Publisher: Chronicle Books
# of Pages: 96
ISBN: 978-0811874559
Date of Publication: June 30, 2010
Source: Library Checkout

Challenges

#2 for the 2013 Library Books Reading Challenge
#20 for the 100 Books in a Year Challenge
#20 for the 150+ Books in a Year Challenge


2 comments:

  1. The title seems so sad! Maybe I'll try reading this to my little ones.

    bookluvrmindy
    Magical Urban Fantasy Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title caught my eye, an adult kids book and you get a laugh ... sounds like my cup of tea but I'd borrow it too.

    ReplyDelete