Tuesday, October 22, 2013

"Dad is Fat" By: Jim Gaffigan Review

Dad is Fat
By: Jim Gaffigan
Synopsis
In Dad is Fat, stand-up comedian Jim Gaffigan, who’s best known for his legendary riffs on Hot Pockets, bacon, manatees, and McDonald's, expresses all the joys and horrors of life with five young children—everything from cousins ("celebrities for little kids") to toddlers’ communication skills (“they always sound like they have traveled by horseback for hours to deliver important news”), to the eating habits of four year olds (“there is no difference between a four year old eating a taco and throwing a taco on the floor”). Reminiscent of Bill Cosby’s Fatherhood, Dad is Fat is sharply observed, explosively funny, and a cry for help from a man who has realized he and his wife are outnumbered in their own home.
My Thoughts
     I am a huge fan of Jim Gaffigan and this book only reinforces why. A fun filled romp through fatherhood, Gaffigan talks about the ins and outs of being a father living in New York City. I loved the off handed humor but you can also feel the genuine love he has for his children throughout.
     Jim Gaffigan has five children at the publication of this book. He and his wife Jeannie live in a two bedroom apartment in New York, with no car, and FIVE kids. Yep. Its hard for me to get over it but I think it bears repeating.
    Gaffigan talks about the trials of being a parent that are pretty universal. Some of my favorite parts of the book dealt with how annoying other parents are, which I can totally see. I don’t have children myself, but I enjoyed the random stories about how crazy children act and behave in different situations. Trips to the park took on a whole new meaning!
      I think all-in-all I enjoyed the book best because I could feel the love for his family as he wrote. Nothing really stood out to me as astounding but I did laugh in different places. I probably wouldn’t have picked up this book if I hadn’t known Gaffigan, but it was a pleasant, quick read that was pretty cute. Great for fans of Gaffigan’s stand up comedy and of course, for parents.

Book Details
Publisher: Crown Archetype
Date of Publication: May 7, 2013
# of Pages: 288
ISBN: 9780385349062
Source: Library Checkout

No comments:

Post a Comment