Friday, July 5, 2013

"Flirting with Disaster" By: Ruthie Knox Review

Flirting with Disaster (Camelot, #3)
Flirting with Disaster
By: Ruthie Knox
Synopsis
Fresh out of a fiasco of a marriage, Katie Clark has retreated to her hometown to start over. The new Katie is sophisticated, cavalier, and hell-bent on kicking butt at her job in her brother’s security firm. But on her first assignment—digging up the truth about the stalker threatening a world-famous singer-songwriter—Katie must endure the silent treatment from a stern but sexy partner who doesn’t want her help . . . or her company. Sean Owens knows that if he opens his mouth around Katie, she’ll instantly remember him as the geeky kid who sat behind her in high school. Silence is golden, but he can’t keep quiet forever, not with Katie stampeding through their investigation. It’s time for Sean to step up and take control of the case, and his decade-old crush. If he can break through Katie’s newfound independence, they just might find they make a perfect team—on the road, on the job, and in bed.
My Thoughts
    So I have a bit of a disclaimer before I write this review. I love Ruthie Knox. I’ve loved everything she’s written and I totally got to meet her in May when I went to the RT Convention. She’s an utterly lovely person and I read her stuff as soon as I get it. That said, I totally think anyone who loves a great romance, a fun story about love lost and found, or just a fun little mystery with a bit of kissing included is going to love Flirting with Disaster.
    Katie Clark has just come back to her hometown after divorcing her High School sweetheart. Still licking her wounds of a love gone wrong, Katie finds a job with her brother as a secretary. Trying to prove herself as more than an assistant, Katie decides she is going to try her hand as a personal security guard.
     Sean Owens knew Katie when she was in school. He has been gone for years but when his Mother dies, he decides to return home and settle her affairs. While home, he hooks up with his old friend’s security company and the crush he had on Katie resurfaces almost instantaneously. He may be rich, successful, and handsome but Sean finds himself at a disadvantage - he has a serious speech impediment and stutters wildly when around the cute Katie. When they are assigned as personal security guards together for a famous rock star, both Sean and Katie suffer from misapprehensions about the other and have to find interesting ways to work together.
     This is the first book in my memory that I can remember having a stuttering hero, but I liked it. At the beginning it was a bit tiring because I just didn’t see where the situation was going, but as it continued throughout the story, I understood how it related to Sean’s character better. I also liked that it wasn’t just instantly cured because that isn’t how life is.
    Katie and Sean worked well together and I loved the secondary characters. They added just enough pizazz to help the story move along but didn’t take away from the two central characters. Funny, light hearted, and in the end incredibly sweet, I found the story a perfect part of the Ruthie Knox universe.


On a side note, Flirting with Disaster is part of the Camelot series that also features Along Came Trouble and How to Misbehave. Making It Last looks to be a new novella coming in July that is also part of the series.

Book Details
Publisher: Loveswept
Date of Publication: June 10, 2013
# of Pages: 448
ISBN: B00AP2VUHK
Source: Netgalley for Review

I'm not bragging or anything, but Ruthie and I are totally like best book friends! :)
May 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment