Tuesday, July 16, 2013

"Playing the Field" By: Jennifer Seasons Review

Playing the Field
By: Jennifer Seasons

Synopsis
Single mother Sonny Miller has spent years avoiding love. A rotten childhood and an even rottener ex-boyfriend left her determined to protect her son—and herself—against the risks of romance. That is, until hotshot ballplayer JP Trudeau swaggers into her carefully constructed life, all sin-with-me eyes and irresistible grin. Sonny can't help but feel drawn to the sexy, confident man, even as every fiber of her being tells her to keep running the bases . . .
JP is known for being fast on his feet, not fast with his heart. But meeting Sonny and her boy sparks something in him—something he's never felt before, not from all the cleat-chasers in the major leagues. Sonny may be hell-bent on keeping him at arm's length no matter what, but this rookie has a plan. To get the girl, he must step up to the plate and convince her to take another chance on love . . . before this game gets rained out.
My Thoughts
     I love a great sports romance. Susan Elizabeth Phillips hooked me on them, Jaci Burton has some great ones and now I’m going to add Jennifer Seasons to my favorites list. I enjoyed the contrast in the characters but loved the sizzling sexuality between single mother Sonny and super hot baseball star JP.
     A quick disclaimer before I start - I read this book which is second in the series without reading the first book, Stealing Home. It didn’t bother my enjoyment at all but there were tons of recurring characters. If that matters to you, start with the first and then come back. Now onward...!
      JP first sees Sonny during a baseball camp for children. Drawn to her, he later finds out she is the mother of one of the kids he’s been helping at the camp. Determined to get to know her better JP begins pursuing her. Initially Sonny is pretty resistant  to the fast talking younger man, but he slowly wears her down. I mean come on, he’s successful, confident and a hottie. What isn’t there to like?
    I enjoyed the pace of the story and it developed nicely. The sexual tension simmered and the dynamics between the characters was well thought out. I think Seasons did a good job of showing Sunny’s insecurities in dating and single parenthood. The character development of Sonny’s son and his distrust of a new man in his mom’s life was realistic, which I appreciated.
    Just a plain sweet story with some smokin’ hot scenes, I really enjoyed Playing the Field. I liked it so much, I immediately went out and bought Stealing Home. Great characters, a fun story, sweet romance that will leave you with a smile on your face and eagerly awaiting the next one.

Diamonds and Dugouts Series
1. Stealing Home (April 2013)
2. Playing the Field (July 2013)

Book Details
Publisher: Avon Impulse
# of Pages: 368
Date of Publicaton: August 6, 2013
ISBN: 978-0062271471
Source: Netgalley for Review

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for letting me stop by, and for giving PLAYING THE FIELD a try! I <3 your blog and am super excited to be here. Thanks again!

    Best,
    Jennifer Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo a new sports romance to try out. I love them too and got hooked by Rachel Gibson and her hockey players :) I hadn't seen this one yet so thank ya for the heads up!

    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup

    ReplyDelete