Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"The Officer and the Secret" By: Jeanette Murray Review

The Officer and the Secret
By: Jeanette Murray
Synopsis
After a rougher than expected deployment, Captain Dwayne Robertson craves the sense of normalcy that his friends can bring him. But when he returns home, there's an unexpected, but pleasant, twist in the mix—Veronica Gibson. As he struggles to adjust to daily life again, Dwayne craves Veronica and the peace she brings him. But Veronica isn't without faults. Dwayne hates lies, and Veronica's entire past is a well-guarded mystery. When the completely unexpected happens, they both realize it's time to lay their cards on the table and hope they're ready for love
My Thoughts
     I woke up early on the morning of my birthday and read Jeanette Murray’s latest offering. I was lucky enough to pick up this ARC at the RT conference in Kansas City in early May but had been saving it like a piece of cake. So taking a vacation day from work, I stayed in my pajamas and savored this engrossing story that culminates one of my favorite series being written now.
      The Officer and the Secret is the third book in the Semper Fi Series, following The Officer Says "I Do" and The Officer Breaks the Rules. Finally the story of Veronica and Dwight!! It seems like I’ve been waiting foreva, so I just had to savor this one like ice cream.
       Dwight has always been the largest and most resistant of the three marines from the story. The only soldier on military leave, much of the second book was spent as he was overseas in an active military location. He has met Veronica, the quiet cousin of Skye from the first book, through Skype.
       Low key and comfortable with one another, these two people who have had trouble in their past, find a somewhat peace with one another. I loved how their relationship grew almost as if a dance. Veronica, having lived as a missionary, had to learn how to fit in with society. Dwight, coming back from a war zone, had to confront his demons and Veronica is a perfect match. She’s neither pushy nor dumb and is the perfect mix for this hardened marine.
      A great story for a spring morning, I was happy with the story until the very end. I don’t know if I just wanted the story to continue or what, but the ending seemed rushed and the huge issues they were facing seemed to be wrapped up in just a few paragraphs. An overall sweet story that I truly enjoyed, I can’t wait to see what Ms. Murray has to bring next. Hopefully more marines!!


Book Details
Publisher: Sourcebook Casablanca
Date of Publication: July 2, 2013
# of Pages: 352
ISBN: 9781402265464
Source: Netgalley for Review

No comments:

Post a Comment