Tuesday, December 20, 2011

"The School for Brides" By: Cheryl Ann Smith Review


 By: Cheryl Ann Smith

It's never too late to live happily ever after...
Miss Eva Black spent her life concealing her mother's past as a courtesan. Now a spinster, her beauty hidden away under a dour disguise, Eva spends her days schooling courtesans to be suitable wives. But one vengeful duke does not appreciate Eva turning his mistress into a lady. He plans to seduce Eva into becoming what she detests: a courtesan. But he doesn't expect her to be a woman of such beauty and so many secrets.

My Thoughts:
     Finally I have found a new author! It's been months since I've read a new author and because of book blogs, I was lucky enough to find Cheryl Ann Smith! Yay me!!
     "The School for Brides" is a unique concept I've not seen in romance novels yet. Eva is the daughter of a courtesan (which we've seen) who runs a school for courtesans who want to become ladies (which I haven't seen). She comes into a bit of trouble when Nicholas Drake, a Duke, accuses Eva of stealing his mistress. He decides if he can't have his old mistress back, Eva will do.
      It sounds a little wild, but the execution is wonderful. The romance is funny, sweet, and I loved Eva! You dislike Nicholas in the beginning, but as the book progresses, Nicholas seems to as well. By the end you are cheering for Eva and Nicholas to be together, no matter what stands in their way. You will also giggle, I promise you, as you read about the crazily funny courtesans that Eva is teaching to become ladies.
     This is one of those rare authors that you find and you want to get your hands on everything they are writing. Cheryl has a second book in this series, called "The Accidental Courtesan" that I am going to start this weekend. It features Noelle, Eva's sister from the first novel. An excellent romance and a must-read author all rolled into one!

No comments:

Post a Comment