Thursday, April 3, 2014

"Last Breath" By: Jessica Clare & Jen Frederick

19207601

Last Breath

By: Jessica Clare & Jen Frederick

Synopsis

Regan
I never really knew what misery was until the day I was kidnapped and sold for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Two months later, I'm at a brothel in Rio when I meet Daniel Hays. He says he's here to save me, but can I trust him? All I know of him are his sarcastic retorts and his tendency to solve every dispute with his gun. He's also the only safe thing in my world, and I know it's wrong to fall in love with him, but I can't seem to help myself. He says he’ll protect me until his last breath but I don’t know if I should believe him or even if I can.
Daniel
For the last eighteen months, I’ve had one goal: to find my kidnapped sister. I’ve left the Army, turned paid hit man, and have befriended criminals all across the globe. In every brothel I raid or every human trafficking truck I stop, her face is the one I’m desperate to see. In Rio, I find Regan Porter, bruised but not broken and still sane despite her weeks in hell. I should leave her behind or send her home because the last thing either of us needs is to get involved. But with every passing minute, I find I can’t let her go.
My Thoughts
     Last Breath begins a few months after the events of Last Hit take place. Regan is still being held captive in a brothel, yearning to go home but with no way out, she’s almost lost hope. Against her will, Regan fights every man that enters the room but she finds her humanity slowly slipping away. Until the day that Daniel (Nick’s friend from the first book) finds her and fights tooth and nail for her to escape.
     Daniel goes after Regan as a favor to his fellow Hitman, Nick. Daniel’s own sister had been kidnapped several months before, so he understands the ins and outs of how these terrible people operate. Seeking both Regan and his sister, he finds Regan in the slums of Rio. When returning Regan to the United States becomes complicated, they join forces to search Rio for Daniel’s sister.
      If anything, I think I might have enjoyed Last Breath even more than Last Hit and I really loved Last Hit. Daniel is so irreverent and cocky, so when he’s faced with the utter devastation that has become of Regan’s life, he’s at odds with everything he knows to do. I thought the authors did an excellent job of not so much as redeeming him, because he didn’t need that...but they definitely showed a different side to him that we hadn’t seen before.
     They absolutely do not shy away from the sexual abuse Regan receives at the hands of her captors. It was handled really well and I felt emotionally raw reading those torturous scenes. Regan’s mental health and eventual acceptance of her new life now were dealt with realistically. I thought that would scare me away from the story, but in fact it just made me realize the true power of the author’s words.
      Extremely emotionally captivating, Regan and Daniel’s desperate escape from Rio is strained, rife with sexual tension, and fueled by desire.The romance between these two flawed characters is sweet, very romantic, with the perfect amount of heat while dealing with the difficult past of sexual abuse. An excellent story that I read through like a crazy person, I can’t wait until the next as yet Untitled story has to reveal. The authors really need to be commended for bringing this fascinating world to life, something that is pretty hard to do.

Hitman Series


2. Last Breath
3. Untitled (Fall 2014)

Book Details
Publisher: Pear Tree, L.L.C.
# of Pages: 280
ASIN: B00ISLNYC4
Date of Release: March 24, 2014
Source: Personal Purchase

Challenges

No comments:

Post a Comment