Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - 10 Bookish People I want to Meet

Welcome to my first
Top Ten Tuesday post! 
Thank you to
The Broke and the Bookish for sponsoring.

Top 10 Bookish People I'd Like to Meet...
10. Elizabeth Hoyt
I am a huge fan of Elizabeth Hoyt. I remember reading her very first book, "Raven Prince," and thinking, wow...this is something really different. The way she can write a character is amazing, but the attention to detail and the different time periods combine to create a true reading experience. 




         

9. Beth Hoffman

My absolute favorite book of 2011 was "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt" I loved it so much, I actually had it be the focal point of a One Read Program at the library where I work. It's a delightful story of a young girl dealing with her mother's death and her new life down south. The language in this is gorgeous and the story is heartwarming while also immensely emotional.



8. Mo Willems
I am a Teen librarian so I recognize teen authors fairly easily. However, some of my favorite moments at work are when I'm scoping out the children's books. One of my favorite authors is Mo Willems, the author of the Pigeon and Knuffle Bunny books. This summer when we were having children's programs, I actually read "Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late" as an interactive story time.  The kids loved denying the pigeon and telling him to go TO SLEEP! Clever, funny, and so gosh darn cute they'll make your eyes squeeze shut. Love him and I love his stories! 
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!        The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!  


7. Wendy McClure
The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the PrairieAnother one of my favorite titles of last year was "The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie" It's Wendy's story as she travels to all of the Little house homesteads and attempts to learn some of the same skills Laura and her family needed. Insightful and frankly funny, I enjoyed seeing Laura's world through Wendy's eyes. 


6. Eloisa James
Easily one of my favorite authors is Eloisa James. Anything she writes I just devour. Beyond writing romance, Eloisa wrote a memoir about her time in Paris and titled it appropriately, "Paris In Love" Whether writing nonfiction or a romantic regency, Eloisa James knocks it out of the park.
      

5. Sarah Wendell - 
Before I began my own blog and started reading others, I was a dedicated reader of "Smart Bitches, Trashy Books" Irreverent, smart, and tough, SBTB gives romance readers a back bone. There are some books I agree with, some books I hated that they loved and a little bit between, but each and every day I'm dying to read what they write. PLUS, I love seeing when romance books are on sale, which is a super helpful feature for a librarian on a budget.

4. Lisa Kleypas
Lisa is one of the first writers that I can remember being a favorite of mine. I've been with her through three or four different series, when she wrote in first person, during gypsies and oil barons. We've been friends a long, long time and I haven't been disappointed yet. Anything Lisa writes simply enthralls me and as a reader I rejoice. 
Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)          Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)

See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)3. Rachel Gibson
Now we're getting into take off of work to read these authors territory - every spring I get excited. Sure trees are blooming, baby bunnies are abounding, and Rachel Gibson is releasing a new novel...hopefully with a little hockey in it. Contemporary, sexy, fun, and beyond all else, well written, Rachel writes addictive romances that you simply can't get enough of. The only complaint I have? She only releases one book a year but oh goodness, what a book it is!

2. Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Nobody's Baby But MineOne of the first adult romances I read was when I was entering High School. I remember picking up "Nobody's Baby But Mine" and rereading it three or four times over a weekend. Then I took the book back to the library, returned it, and actually checked it out again just a few days later along with several other SEP titles. (Seppers know who they are if you truly are a fan!) Writing characters so real you can feel them, each with their own problems and foibles, creates a story you can live in. The absolute favorite thing about these novels are the imperfect characters. If they can get their happily ever afters, I know mine is around the corner. 

Drumroll please............

1. Kresley Cole
Ready for my favorite author in the whole wide known universe? It's Kresley Cole. An amazingly smart, funny, and well constructed author that has created an entire world of paranormal creatures. The brilliance of her books is the interconnectivity of them. You see something in one book and its seen two or three other times from other view points in the other books. If you don't understand it, trust me, you'll see it later and go, oooohhhhhh! Beyond awesome story lines, Kresley can write a hero like no other. Werewolf crazy man who hates vampires falling for a half vampire? Unbelievable by many, but Kresley writes it so believable I start believing I may have a fang or two. Love this lady and love her books. Read her, you'll thank me!


 
Who is on your top 10 list?

6 comments:

  1. Hey... fun answers!! Those Pigeon books are hilarious. I'd love to meet the mind behind 'em, too! Plus... you're a librarian. I'm not sure if I should be shy and mind-my-manners or WOOP! That's awesome. I haven't read any of the other books listed, but your raving on #1 had me laughing. Sounds like a great author!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read any of these books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. I'd love to meet SEP, her books are so much fun, I imagine she must be too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only do I enjoy lists, but I enjoyed your particular list. Mo Willems was a great speaker. Happy Reading Week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Mo Willems! I want to meet Juliet Marillier, Jacqueline Carey, Marcus Zusak, John Green...so many that I can't think of right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am slowly working my way through Wilder Life. It's such campy fun (but it keeps getting dropped for things like The Diviners and A Feast for Crows. Poor book) and I would love to chit chat all things Laura with Wendy! Here is my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-1cD

    ReplyDelete