Friday, March 14, 2014

"Who's Who" By: Ken Geist Review

13167773
Who’s Who
By: Ken Geist

Synopsis
Over in these pages where it's hard to tell who's who, live six pairs of twins who are the best at what they do.
"Laugh!" say the twins. "We laugh!" So will you.
And you'll giggle as you read while you try to tell who's who.

My Thoughts
     I’m not a children’s librarian, and although I do enjoy a good picture book, I sometimes don’t agree with what’s on the best of lists. I read them purely for enjoyment, and some more than others as with everything in life, are simply better. This is not one of those books. While the illustrations are incredibly cute and playful, the text and rhyming rhythm of the book seemed off to me.
     The story is comprised of small poems in the wildlife kingdom. From a farmyard to the jungle, the author describes two animals’ antics through rhyming. While it was a cute concept, it didn't work for me. The rhyming doesn’t seem well done in places and the story is disjointed.  In contrast, the illustrations are well done in pastel and earth tones. I enjoyed the subtle jokes within the illustrations, especially the twin bats with the “Batman” shirts. So I guess I would suggest this one for the pretty pictures, but definitely not a good one for read alouds or using to learn rhyming words.      


Book Details
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Date of Publication: August 7, 2012
# of Pages: 28
ISBN: 9780312644376
Source: Library Checkout

Challenges

No comments:

Post a Comment