Friday, October 12, 2012

A Visit to the Library Center in Springfield, Missouri

The Library Center in Springfield, Missouri
This past week I've been a bit absent here on the blog...because I've been at the annual Missouri Library Association's meeting! 

I love going to MLA every year that my Director allows me to, but this year I was able to tour maybe the coolest library I've ever been to (besides mine of course!).  
Isn't that just lovely?
The Library Center in Springfield, Missouri is the biggest, prettiest, and maybe the most gorgeous library I have ever seen. If you can't tell, I have total book envy. 

I walked around like the paparazzi during our visit and am going to share some of my favorite pictures with you.  
The library will be holding a "Tolkien Festival" this fall. I kid you not, this gorgeous painting was almost as tall as I am and huge as you walk into the lobby. Brilliantly done and an excellent display to promote their programming. I kind of wish I lived in Springfield, so I could enjoy! 

People who have donated money to the library get their name in this display

Coffee & Muffins anyone?? 

This was the view I had as I walked past the entrance and into the actual library. I stopped and just stared. 
Just look at that space!!!! 

Banned books Display
You can see the display I made at my library here
I had to laugh, chains were a common theme! 

Entrance into the Children's Area
Decorated in a "jungle" theme
Turtle 
Giraffe!

Story Room entrance...and a toucan!
Books, puppets, and a HUGE giraffe 
Next up, the teen room!
"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks." - To Kill a Mockingbird
Being a teen librarian, when you walk into a library you've gotta check out the teen section. Everyone does it a little differently and again, gotta say...I loved Springfield's!

I regret that I didn't take a picture of the room as a whole, but I did get some awesome shots of the glass quotes that surround the room. Inspirational and enchanting, it took me a second to realize that all of the quotes come out of popular YA titles. 
"What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful." - Uglies 
Quotes from Speak, Author Ned Vizzini, Eldest, and Twilight
"It is easier to floss with barbed wire than to admit you like someone in middle school." -Speak

"The best kind of story, in my mind, is one that makes you laugh and then makes you think." - Author Ned Vizzini

"Wise? No, I simply learned to think" - Eldest

 "And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" - Twilight

Gateway and Truman Award Winners
One of my favorite things from the Teen area was how they displayed their award winners. I currently have mine displayed on the tops of the stacks just as a huge display, but I loved how they were stacked. They looked so inviting and even I wanted to take one home! 

Circulation desk - look at how excited the little girl is on the left
Snapped a picture of myself while I was waiting for my fellow librarians to leave 
On my way out, I had to checkout the huge "Friends" gift shop.
I had a lovely time in Springfield, but my visit to the library was truly remarkable. 

Fun and a little awe inspiring, the Springfield-Greene area is incredibly lucky to have such an amazing library so close to them. 

I spent quite a bit of time visiting the genealogy room (totally forgot to snap a few photos of the HUGE genealogy collection) and the librarian's holding down the fort were so welcoming and friendly. 
The library is a community treasure. 

When you are in Springfield, you find nothing but people happy to have such a wonderful library in their midst. 

If you are ever near Springfield, Missouri, do yourself a favor and visit the treasure that is The Library Center! 

7 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures! I can never pronounce "toucan" -- I always refer to it as "the bird with the long, big beak." Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. I'm going to my Illinois School Librarian conference next week! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww..thanks for all your lovely comments! We love our Library! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great library - so many things to see, books, the big wooden 'READ' -must have been wonderful to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one very impressive library! WOW! I don't think I'd ever leave!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a page at the Library Center and I truly love it there. The people are great, the atmosphere is great, and the entire building is just great. Thanks for posting this so everyone can see the awesome place where I work.

    ReplyDelete